February 25, 2010

Bhopali Rap-up



Today, I will be saying goodbye to the modestly pleasant city of Bhopal. It was not even considered as a destination when I was planning my visit to India, but I can surely say that I could not have ended up in a more livable place. Bhopal and the state of Mahdya Pradesh has shown me an India that is modern, cultured and peaceful. Beyond these broad descriptions, I will really miss the little things:

… Fantasy Bakery and Rocky Tailors, located right across from each other in buzzing Newmarket. I've had some sweet times sampling the tantalizing treats at Fantasy and some delicious complimentary chai while observing the fine workmanship of Rocky's tailoring on his 30 year-old Singers.

... Buying loads of fresh guavas from the market.



… The cluttered narrow lanes of Old Bhopal, where the city's mishmash of historical influences from the French, Islamics, and Mughals collide with the organic growth of its private residences. It is where I get my super quality fabrics, super sweet lassi and super sized portions of fried foods for super affordable rates.







… Walks along Lakeside Drive by the biggest and cleanest man-made lake in India. This is where everyone hangs out at all times of the day. Boat rides, street snacks, terraced patios with chocolaty desserts: awesome times.





… Spontaneous dance routines to local Bhopali rap and late night mendhi with fun-loving friends.





… Hanging out with the guys who do all the hard work in the office.



… Beef Biryani in a bag! It's no steak mind you, but after 2 months of vegetables and chicken, this was a monstrous discovery.



… Last but not least, FilFora, where I repeatedly go to get the best Kebabs and sweet porridge in India, including tonight! I will be spending my last Bhopali meal at this fine establishment.

From there, I'll catch a 22:05 train to Mathura and Vrindavan, where I will be playing Holi, like this!


Then, I will slowly make my way to Delhi airport stopping in a few cities along the way. The trip itinerary for the next 11 days before Shanghai is still up in the air, as something unexpected in bound to happen along the way. I will keep you all posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment