January 24, 2010

Ti-grrrrrr!

I knew my chances were slim, but the goal for my trip to Satpura National Park was to see a TIGER! Philip and Katie are joining me and Raj for the trip and Phil is a huge nature and wildlife buff. He had the illustrated guides and a notebook of sightings ready to go. Normally, I wouldn't get excited about waking up before dawn in zero-degree weather for a stroll through the forest, but Phil's excitement kind of rubbed off on me. And of course, there are wild TIGERS!


So about a hundred years ago, a mountain peak of the Satpura range became surrounded by water. And the wildlife living in those forests were then trapped on what is now the island of Mahrai. This island is apart of the protected area of the national park and the water actually acts as a natural barrier. Apparently, the tigers sometimes swim across the small lake onto mainland for a visit.



We rode across on a medium-sized boat around sunset. Beautiful! So amazing.









Boat operators don't take very good photos.



We stayed at a damn nice resort (for a damn nice price) where gazelles and deer roamed freely in the yard. They were a bit aggressive during meals though.



At 6am the next morning, we watched the morning mist slowly dissipate, and set off on our adventure. I was kind of happy to hear that we'd be riding through in a Jeep rather than on foot, which could get dangerous.


Our driver and guide had keen eyes and quick reflexes. He'd halt the Jeep suddenly and we'd follow his pointed finger as quickly as we can towards an Indian deer, or some wild boars, a group of sambas, or a gang of wild dogs (which looked like foxes to me). It was all very cool, Phil and Katie were always way more excited about the animals than I was.





After about an hour and a half of deer, and samba, and boar, and buffalo, I was starting to settle with the idea that TIGER is not going to happen. Also, I was getting numb from the freezing wind coming though the open jeep.

Suddenly, our guide halted again and this time did not point into some bush in the distance, he pointed down at the trail. I peeped down over Raj's shoulder and asked what it was. Prints!! Oh my God, TIGER! (I can't believe the guide spotted prints from a speeding jeep, while driving.)


The next 5 minutes after the print sighting was full of hallucinations. Tiger shapes were popping up everywhere I looked! The climatization continued for another 20 minutes and there was nothing but more of the same. Deer, gazelle, some more deer and wild boar.

The bubble finally burst when we reached the gates out of the protected zone. It was over, and all we got were these prints.

I guess I could just go to the zoo.

2 comments:

  1. Is it possible that someone put the prints there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw too bad about the tigers. I remember similarly freezing on my early trip through bandhavgarh national park -- it's hard to be prepared to be on an open jeep with cool temperatures!

    ReplyDelete