January 21, 2010

Funky Food, Solar Eclipse and Miss Super Hot

The other night, we went for a Rajasthani all-you-can-eat feast. Half the things shoved in my mouth, I had no idea what it was.



I felt absolutely overwhelmed in just about 20 minutes of sampling each little dish. The meal was an incongruous mixture of spicy and sweet, tart and buttery, salty and bitter, and more flavors that just numbed me. After the whole thing, my plate looked pretty much the same as when I started.



The meal ended with a minty wad of pan leaves. You're supposed to chew on this stuff slowly to cleanse your mouth of all the crazy flavors of the meal prior. I chewed too quickly and got a burst bitter medicine taste that stayed in my mouth for like 20 minutes! Not to mention the remaining specs of leaves that stayed lodged in my teeth for the rest of the evening. I eventually got the chew speed right but I really won't be trying it the next time its offered to me.



Pretty soon after leaving the restaurant, while our rickshaw sped through the cold night air, I had a sudden feeling that I would have to suffer for this special experience. And I did ... brutally.


Here are some lighter morsels of goodness...

The solar eclipse happened on the 15th between noon and 4pm. At the time, I was at the Bhopal's University of Technology meeting a professor, whose students will be helping us survey the project I'm working on. A crowd of students were looking through a welding mask to look at the sky. I was offered an xray sheet thing and took this shot through it. This is the only point in the transition I was able to catch, unfortunately.



And I found this in the paper a few mornings ago. Women have different needs around here.



In relation to this, I accidentally purchased a "lightening" creme from the store and realized a week after the fact. No wonder I'm not tanning.

2 comments:

  1. hahaha can't believe you bought a lightening cream :P I find those things so strange. Sorry to hear your experience with pan went ary... maybe next time you try it, you should try the narcotic version.

    I was also never a big fan of thali, since there were always some dishes I didn't like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What happened after 1/21? Would like to hear more from you.

    ReplyDelete